When summer time rolls around, my husband and I take advantage of the extra time we have to disciple our kids in God’s Word. Each year, it looks differently. For two years in a row, we participated in the “Bible Bee”. The first summer we studied each and every verse of 1st Peter and the second summer it was 2nd Timothy. Click here to check out this wonderful ministry.
As springtime was giving way to summer, my husband shared with me that he wanted the kids to learn how to hear the Holy Spirit’s voice through interacting with the Bible. So, this summer, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday he will choose a verse from the Bible and in our journals, we will interact with it in the following way:
- Write the reference
- Write the main theme
- Choose a key word & using Blueletterbible.org write the Hebrew or Greek Definition
- Consider what the Holy Spirit is speaking to me personally through the verse and write it down
Then we will share with each other what we have written. However, sharing #4 is optional. It can keep it between you and the Lord.
On Wednesday, our verse was Romans 10:9. This is what I received from this verse.
- “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9
- Steps to Salvation
- Lord – to whom a person or thing belongs, about which he has the power of deciding the owner, one who has control of a person, master.
- Jesus needs to be Lord of every area of my life – mind, emotions, attitude, etc… I have decided that I belong to Jesus and I willingly give Him control of my life. As I keep Him as Lord of all of me, it leads to salvation of anything and everything that tries to come against me. He is the Lord that initially saves me from my sin, but He is also the Lord who continually saves me from that which tries to defeat me.
We are praying that this simple Biblical exercise leads to great growth in our kiddos lives. Feel free to adopt and/or adapt our Summer Bible Study for your family as well!