Do you like to know secrets? When you serve in ministry, you have to become good at secret keepin’ as you are often the first person other’s turn to with their secrets. Sometimes, it’s good and happy news. At other times, it is heartache and pain. I much prefer the happy secrets, how about you?
Are you trustworthy with secrets? Is it hard to keep someone’s news to yourself? Or are you the person your friends and family know to tell when they want the word out?
When someone confides in you, what they are saying is that they have confidence both in your grace-filled response and in your ability to communicate about it only when appropriate to do so, even when it means keeping a secret for an extended period of time. Are you a person who can keep a confidence?
Psalm 25:14 says, “The Lord confides in those who fear Him; He makes His covenant known to them.” According to this verse, God knows He can trust those who “fear” Him. To fear God means to honor Him and order your life in accordance with His will. The blessing for fearing God is that He shares His “secrets” with you. However, unlike when you were a teenager, His “secrets” aren’t meant to exclude others. You see, God’s secrets, are meant to be shared. He wants you to spread His business to others. This is the only relationship where it’s OK to tell others the news you have heard in secret.
Too often we share the things that need to be kept quiet and keep quiet the things that need to be shared. When God takes you into His confidence by sharing things through His Word and Spirit, don’t keep the good news to yourself. Share it with as many as you can – friends, family, co-workers, those within your circle of influence.
Use discipline to keep other’s secrets. Use your voice to share God’s secrets. Be a person He has confidence in:
- Confidence that you will take time to listen to His secrets.
- Confidence that you will obey order your life with His will.
- Confidence that you will share His secrets of life and Godliness with others.
- How good are you at keeping a secret? Would those close to you say they are “confident” you would receive news in a gracious way and keep it to yourself? Or would they say they are “confident” you would spread their news quicker than you can spread soft butter on a piece of warm toast.
- Psalm 25:14 says the Lord confides in those who fear Him. Do you honor God and live your life in a way that shows that?
- God’s ways “secrets” are meant to be shared with others. Who can you share His secrets with today?
Your Friend in Ministry,